Identify Stakeholders is the process of identifying project stakeholders regularly and analyzing and documenting relevant information regarding their interests, involvement, interdependencies, influence, and potential impact on project success. Pinpointing all of the above up front will help you to come up with a strategy for engagement of each stakeholder or group of stakeholders.
At the Initiating stage of a project, the key output of the Identify Stakeholders process is stakeholder register. The document usually contains the following key information:
- Identification information (e.g., name, position, location, contact details, project role)
- Assessment information (e.g., requirements, expectations, influence)
- Stakeholder classification (e.g., internal/external, impact/influence/power/interest)
The process is performed periodically throughout the project as needed, causing updates to project management plan and project documents and giving rise to change requests. It should be performed at least at the start of each phase and when a significant change in the project or the organization occurs.
Create Project Management Tasks
A separate Project Management folder can be used for managing project management activities (as opposed to project work activities). In Project Management folder create Identify stakeholders task and Develop stakeholder register subtask.
Provide instructions on how to execute Identify stakeholders task in task description.
Similarly, provide instructions on how to develop stakeholder register in the description of Develop stakeholder register subtask.
Create corresponding subtasks in Task Management folder dedicated to managing project tasks. For each project phase, create Identify stakeholders subtask under Update project management tasks task. Subtasks under Update project management tasks are used for managing updates to corresponding project management processes.
Provide instructions on how to execute the update to the Identify stakeholders subtask in subtask description.
A checklist of required outputs of the update process is a useful tracking tool.
Create Stakeholder Register Doc
Create Stakeholder Register doc. Provide the page structure and content manually, paste the content from an MS Word document (ClickUp will do its best to transform the content into the ClickUp format) or create the doc from a company template (organizational process assets).
ClickUp’s collaboration features ensure everyone in your workspace is able to comment, edit, and work on docs at the same time, without any overlap. When someone else is editing, you see their live cursor typing. You’re also able to edit at the same time, just like Google Docs. You can add a contributor to a doc or designate a team member as the author.
In addition, comments are one of ClickUp’s most powerful tools for collaboration. Assign a comment if it requires effort from anyone on your team. This creates a new required item for the assignee to complete before the task can be closed.
Share Stakeholder Register Doc
You can share the stakeholder register with:
- Project stakeholders: individuals and organizations who are actively involved in the project, or whose interests may be positively or negatively affected as a result of project execution or successful project completion
- Project management team: the members of the project team who are directly involved in project management activities
- Project team: a set of individuals performing the work of the project to achieve its objectives
Here are your sharing options:
- Everyone in the workspace (does not include guests)
- Specific people and teams, including guests
- People you invite to your workspace while sharing a doc
- Specific tasks or locations
You can also:
- Export a doc
- Share publicly
- Copy the internal link to share it with your team
When sharing with specific people, you can set their permissions.